Tuesday, July 24, 2007

How to waste your time (life) away? Part 1

Watch football
I have a lot of male friend who likes to watch football. Whenever there is a football league on going, English Premier League, South America League, etc, usually they will come to work the next day with ‘panda eyes’. Thanks to satellite technology, we are fortunate enough to watch the football match live telecast from the other side of the world. Therefore, in order to watch it live, so they have to stay awake in the midnight. I wonder why they sacrifice their sleeping time to watch the game until I found out one day. The reason is simple, so that they can discuss about the game on the next day.
For me, I won’t be wasting my sleeping time to watch it and suffer from sleeplessness for the entire next day. I can’t understand the urgency of watching the game throughout the midnight while at the same time deteriorate my own health. In fact, what’s the point of discussing the clubs’ and the players’ strength and weakness or which club is buying which player? Surprisingly, they know the entire players name by heart, and the schedule of the games. At the end, what’s the benefit to them? Are they going to be a top sports commentator or the high paying speaker for the football club? Or is it going to improve their skill in football game? Or the club is going to pay them for the cheering and merit? But the truth is all they can get is headache, dizzy, blur, sleeplessness, and unproductive the next day. And this also leads to ugly look the next day.
Average a football game is 90 minutes, by watching 2 games a night; you’ll waste about 3 hours a day and entire unproductive days. Not to mention the time wasted talking about the previous football game.

Online chatting
One of the most wasting time and unproductive thing to do online is chatting. You can chat your time away and without realizing the time is passing by. One survey done by a marketing research discloses that a normal chatter will spend average at least 3 hours online chatting each day. If you chat online during your working hour, you’ll waste the unproductive 3 hours each day. 5 days working days will convert to 15 hours wasted for unnecessary routine. So, I politely tell my friends, I don’t chat online, no need to invite me and I hope they will reduce the hours chatting online if necessary.

Reading forwarded email
The very first thing majority of online user will do is checking email; according to a study. Checking email is good in certain extends; email is an important way to communication, building your business and relationship. But a recent growing trend of forwarding ‘rubbish’ email is a waste of time. I receive a lot of so called rubbish email which is chain letter which required me to forward to other so that I’ll be safe from disaster for the rest of the day, or the doctored nude photo of famous idols. You may also receive some forwarded message telling that the email service is going to terminate soon, so you’ll have to forward the message to a hundred of people. To tell you the truth, I ignore all these messages, doesn’t mean anything to me. When I see this message, I clear all this mail just like I clear my junk mail folder without second thought. I think reading these types of mail are a waste of time, and forward to other people is also wasting your time. And not to mention the person who creates the mail that is wasting the most of time. Assume that you check the unnecessary mail once each day, average you’ll waste away 1 hour a day, and 7 hours a week. Think about it whenever you have the urgency to open your inbox.

Rush for bestselling, new movie and newbie.
The recent bestselling Harry Potter 7 has showed an ugly side of people. Because of this release of new book, a lot people had queue up as early as 4 a.m at the bookstore to get there fresh copy of the book. The bookstore opened at 10 a.m, so roughly 6 hours wasted. I am not sure the urgency to read the book until some people are willing to queue during the wee hours for a mere fiction. The book’s price is not cheap, priced at RM 109.90 is a bomb to low income earner. Assuming that an average monthly income of a young executive is RM 1000.00, this book has already exceeded 10% of the monthly expenses.
This also applies to movie release. Many people are willing to wait for hours for a movie ticket but can’t tolerate for a few minutes of waiting at the traffic light. Ironic isn’t it?
The recent released of I-phone by Apple also a classic example of people rushing for newbie. For more stories read here:

Online game
I am sure a lot people play online game. Game is a way out to release tension and build mind agility. I agree. Unfortunately, a lot of addicted gamers wasted a few hours’ online playing games. Not to mention hours of sleepless night trying to destroy the virtual demons, conquering a new territory and killing millions of army over the internet. In the end, I am not sure the benefit they will gain other than mere self-satisfaction.

If you fall into the above categories, please make a change to your life. Now, you may be young in your twenties. Very soon you will realize you are in thirties and forties and regret you have not done anything to boost your income.

I am grateful because I have enough time with my friends, family, working as model, enjoying my hobbies and making money online. I never complain and give excuse that I don’t have time to earn that extra income because I adopt a time management.
My next articles on ‘Why you need make extra income?’ and ‘How to spend time wisely by building my financial portfolio?’ will be published soon.

Labels:

posted by paymedollar at

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually agree and diagree on some parts of the football section being a football fan myself. You were mentioning about whats the use watching late games and ended up the next day being tired and stuff. Ok. agree on whats the use of talking about a game that is already being played or it doesn't help improve anythings that you've mentioned but thats where the disagreeing part kicks in. For me being a footballer and a fan, i actually learnt alot from watching football. Geography for instance. Knowing which country is which, the cultures that some countries have, get to learn words that I never knew, and also learn how to improve my game. It makes your observation skills more skilled. I don't know whether those are the only reasons as u've mentioned towards ur male friends but personally to me and to ppl that I know of actually like me. watch the game to learn about the game, tactics and not just being a hot topic for the next day.
But anyway, Malaysia its part of our culture so thats that. I hope i didn't offend you but just my thought. One more thing. You should ask around why females are starting to watch football. I'm sure you know since you wrote this post. See ya.

August 9, 2007 at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home