Friday, July 20, 2007

Maya Karin also practises green move




GROWING up in Germany, a country known for championing environmental issues, has moulded actress and veejay Maya Karin to become passionate about the environment.
During the one-hour interview in 1-Utama shopping centre in Bandar Utama Damansara, Petaling Jaya recently, the 27-year-old beauty just could not stop talking about the environment and how she wished Malaysians were more pro-active in preserving nature.
A very light-minded question like “Where is your favourite beach?” had turned into an hour-long speech by this advocate of nature.
“I love them all as long as they are clean. Malaysia is blessed with beautiful beaches and rich forests but if we don’t take care of them, soon they will all be gone. The beaches in Penang used to be so clean but look at them now. And Redang. The corals are gone. It’s such a pity. Malaysians don’t realise that they are killing the environment,” she said.
Maya, who was born in Germany, said the country has always put a heavy emphasis on recycling.
“My father, Gottlieb Roelcke, who is very much an environmentalist himself, has always taught us how to love the environment. We would make boats out of the bark of trees and toys from recycled materials. He would take us to the beach and on mountain climbing trips.
“When we go shopping, I would carry my own box or bag to put the groceries in. And every neighbourhood had a one-tonne container for use to discard things that are recyclable.
“I just can’t wait for Malaysia to go big on recycling! Community messages on the radio are not useful if we do not have the facility. I think movies get pushed more than recycling campaigns.
The actress then related the difficulties she encountered while trying to dispose recyclable wastes.
“The envelope holes that they have in recycling bins are ridiculous.
“How can you call that a bin? And these bins are not available in every housing community. I know apartments have them but there is none in my neighbourhood,” said Maya, who lives in Sungai Penchala, Petaling Jaya.
“I know there is one in Mount Kiara because I normally sneak in to throw away the empty bottles and paper.
“But now the guards there wouldn’t even allow me in so I keep a whole load of trash in my car boot as I don’t know where to throw them. My car is like a recycle mobile,” she laughed.
Besides driving around with trash in her very expensive ‘recycle mobile’, Maya also has her plastic food containers and green-coloured shopping bags.
“I always carry them with me in case I want to ta pau food. The makcik in the nasi campur stall that I frequent in Taman Tun Dr Ismail used to laugh at me but I think she has grown to appreciate my effort now since I save her at least 50 Styrofoam boxes a year,” she said.
“When I shop for toiletries, I try not to buy products in plastic bottles. Like soap, for example, I would rather buy them in bars than in liquid form.
“I also love shopping at the pasar malam on Sundays mainly because I can bring my own shopping bags and do not have to use their packaging as opposed to supermarkets where there are layers and layers of packaging even for a small item.
“Shopping at the pasar malam is also cheaper.”
Maya said Malaysians should be more sensitive towards the environment.
“Malaysians should make an effort to care about the environment. There are so many intelligent people and yet the simplest things do not strike them. They just don’t care,” she said.
“Everyone can make a difference by doing little things like not collecting plastic bags when they go shopping.
“And when you pack food back, bring your own container and drink tap water instead of buying mineral water.
“What is wrong in ordering ais kosong? Maybe we are just too liberal with our luxuries,” she added.
Maya said her greatest concern is that Malaysians are getting rid of their real heritage and are replacing it with secondary ecosystems.

Tips from Maya
 Bring your own bags when you go shopping.
 In restaurants, order plain water instead of mineral water.
 Use your own container for take-aways.
 Choose to buy items with less packaging.
 Carry a bottle of water in your car and refill when needed.
 Recycle.
 Do not litter.
 Car pool.
 Shut taps tightly after use.
 Turn off power points when not in use.

About maya
Age: 27
Date of Birth: 29/10/1980
Favourite things:
Local food: Curry Laksa, Penang Laksa, Nasi Campur
Drink: Milo Ais
Holiday destination (Malaysia): The islands in Sabah and Tasik Kenyir
Beach: Love them all as long as they are clean
Town: Ipoh for its old architecture, big pillars and trees
Music: Top 40s, Jazz, Alternative
Perfume: Issey Miyake
Place to shop: 1-Utama shopping centre
Pasar malam: At Taman Tun Dr Ismail
Obsession: I have to exercise all the time for mental balance. I have to have my Haagen Dazs ice-cream at least once a month.
Fear: House lizards and sharks
Role Model: Helen Keller
Hobbies: Reading, cooking, travelling
posted by paymedollar at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home